MDT looks to be gaining a lot of usage, which is good from my perspective as it means more brains with whom to share ideas.
Here are a few ideas I have been considering for addition to our MDT Workbench:
- Use the MDT Wizard Editor to add a page for whole-system backup. This functionality has been requested by our College of Medicine IT Staff.
- Implement the “Roles Wizard” solution to allow Distributed IT staff the ability to select MSD database roles for their system.
- This will require that I farm out data writer rights to the MSD database, too.
- Move all online versions of the MDT Distribution Points to our NetApp network storage and activate de-duplication features… this should keep the whole bloated thing much more trim.
- Create Model Aliases for Apple computers. This will be helpful as we gear up for BootCamp support.
- Finish my own disk paritioning script to add support for BootCamp, and to preserve OEM utility partitions.
- Integrate all current Dell Driver CABs… figure out if there are notifications available for these.
- Move “sensitive” application installers into a single central distribution share and secure them. Do not replicate these installers to secondary distribution points.
- Implement “media” based deployment points to allow high-speed deployment from low-speed networks.