Ever since we migrated from WSS 2.0 to 3.0, I have been stymied by site collection permissions issues. Under 2.0, SharePoint server administrators had access to everything, but under 3.0 they get nothing. I was getting pretty sick of not being able to manage SharePoint site collections from the command line. Fortunately, there is a solution… it lies in the “Policy for Web Application” in the Central Admin site (or in the “-o changepermissionpolicy” option of stsadm.exe):
To grant a user or group administrator access to a given web application do as follows.
- Go to SharePoint Central Administration.
- Click on the Application Management tab.
- Under Application Security click on Policy for Web Application
- Click Add Users
- Confirm your settings on the screen (defaults should be what you want) and click Next
- Now enter your user or group of users
- Click the box beside Full Control ? Has full control.
- Click Finish