Catalyst needs us to install eight new servers for them this week. Although it will probably take longer, I have decided to take a stab at using Microsoft ADS (automated deployment services) to roll out the systems.
- Install ADS on server “sysimg1” (reusing the host “castor” from the NetWare days). Select “install MSDE engine locally” and “create self-signed certificate” options. Did not select PXE boot server option… will need to do this later. Also, created share “images” on the root of the c: drive” (note that local storage is rather limited… this may become an issue as time passes).
- Created WinPE boot CD rom with ADS support, using ADS documentation as a guide. See notes in this blog in on generating WinPE images.
- Created reference system:
- install MS Office 2003 with SP1, full install from \filesmca. Ran LISTool from the office 2003 resource kit to move the installation source to the C: drive where it will be imaged properly.
- Install Networker client version 7.2.1, using “Change Journal Manger” option on all local volumes (default settings… saved installer to \filessoftwareServer Resourcesnetworker).
- Install ActiveState ActivePERL. Latest version from activestate.com (saved to \filessoftwareactive perl).
- Install Dell OpenManage Server Administrator – v4.4, with sp1 patch (from \filessoftwareserver resourcesdell).
- Install SSH communication Security SSH client – latest version, default settings.
- Install 2003 server resource kit, support tools, “adminpak.msi” for 2003 with sp1.
- Re-install Intel ProSet utility, using “modify” MSI option, then adding all components (advanced services, Intel WMI agent) – allows for NIC teaming.
- Install GVim and Notepad++ text editors (deselect “use as default html viewer” for Notepad++).
- Install “runtime” version of Oracle 10g client v10.2.0.1 to the “c” drive. Added tnsnames.ora file provided by catalyst staff to the %oracle_home%networkadmin directory. Per instructions from Nancy Snow, add “TNS_ADMIN” system environment variable pointing to the same directory containing the TNSNAMES.ora file.
- add “psadm” CAMPUS directory group to local administrators group.
- create c:sysprep directory. Add sysprep.exe, setupcl.exe from Server 2003 sp1 “deploy.cab” file (support tools directory on the 2003 cd). copy sample sysprep.inf file from “\sysimgc$program filesmicrosoft adssamplessysprep” directory. Add minor tweaks, copy back to source directory.
- run chkdsk and defrag a few times for good measure.
– NOTE: did not do this on subsequent system configurations!
- run “sysprep /reboot” on the reference system. Boot to WinPE CD.
- from the PE console, cd to the “tools” directory. Run:
imgdeploy /capture /p c: d:.img “”
Then “exit” when the image is complete.
Note:networking still not working in PE image. Aargh! Well, I guess I will just have to upload the image manually.